Re: POP forwarding

Douglas Bates <dbates@stats.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

> Does anyone have suggestions on
>  a) does this seem like a reasonable approach?
>  b) if so, what would be good tools for creating such a POP forwarder?
> I have some experience with sockets under perl if that seemed to be a
> good way or I could treat this as an opportunity to get more exposure
> to Java.  Both of these methods would take me a bit of time.  Is there
> some tool in the Debian distribution that could do a quick-and-dirty
> job on this?

There are probably better or more sophisticated solutions, but I think
this one will work.

I think you can just give each of them an account on your Debian box,
then use popclient (part of netstd) to get their mail from the
external server to their Linux account.  Then they will be able to use
pop to get their mail from your Linux box.  I've done this before, but
I have sendmail running on all the machines involved.  I'm not sure if
that's necessary.  Perhaps someone else can say one way or the other.

--
Rob