Re: Loading X Windows

Buddha Buck wrote:

> > > Is it possible to start an X session from the shell?
> >
> > yes.  type "startx" at the command line, as any user, and the machine is
> > transformed.  you can end with alt-ctl-backspace.
> >
> > > Also, does X allow multiple sessions at once?
> >
> > what do you mean by this.  you can have multiple windows open.  type
> > "xterm &" to launch an extra xterm, for example.  Or you can log in from
> > another x-capable machine and open windows.
> >
> Or, if you are desparate and foolish enough (and have a lot of memory),
> you -can- run multiple X servers on different virtual consoles.  I've
> done this in the past.  I don't recommend it.

The command I use to do this is:

X :1.0 -query <hostname>

For even more replace :1.0 with :2.0 etc.

I've used it occasionally so that I can don't have to reconfigure my machine
(which boots into X) to run an X session on a remote machine as well as a
session on my local machine.

I hope this helps.

Chris