No terminal capabilities after upgrade

HELP!  I just upgraded to Debian 1.1 from .93.  Now whenever I try to
run anything that requires any terminal capabilities, I get something
like "xterm: unable to find usable termcap entry", or "Terminal type
vt100 is unknown".  I have ncurses-base-1.9.9e-1,
ncurses-bin-1.9.9e-1, and ncurses3.0-1.9.9e-1 all successfully
installed.  Strangely, I had an /etc/termcap file which belonged to no
installed package (by running dpkg -S /etc/termcap) on the system.
Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Gerry