Re: Loading X Windows

> > Is it possible to start an X session from the shell?
>
> yes.  type "startx" at the command line, as any user, and the machine is
> transformed.  you can end with alt-ctl-backspace.
>
> > Also, does X allow multiple sessions at once?
>
> what do you mean by this.  you can have multiple windows open.  type
> "xterm &" to launch an extra xterm, for example.  Or you can log in from
> another x-capable machine and open windows.

Or, if you are desparate and foolish enough (and have a lot of memory),
you -can- run multiple X servers on different virtual consoles.  I've
done this in the past.  I don't recommend it.

I have also seen multiple simultaneous X servers running on a MkLinux
machine.  Unfortunately, the current version of MkLinux for PowerPC ony
supports one console (not even serial support yet), so it made the
machine a bit unusable and forced a reboot.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our