Re: loss of routing info with 2.0.0

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> I have compiled the 2.0.0 kernel (successfully), but lost my routing
> info in the process (coming from 1.3.95).  "route" only shows the
> machine itself.
>
> If i manually add the missing router & gateway, it works fine, but i
> lose this on reboot.

I'm not sure if this is related at all.. but, I noticed looking
through the upgrade notices for 2.0.0 that the following was listed:

Network errors with recent kernels
==================================

   Many default network scripts are set up to add a route to the
localhost at 127.0.0.1 at startup.  However, they do this incorrectly.
To fix the error, which is now spotted by the kernel (causing many
daemons to quit working), look for a line like `route add -net
127.0.0.1' in your network configuration files and change it to `route
add -net 127.0.0.0'.

   This error is present in all Red Hat distributions (and derivative
distributions like Caldera).  If you're running one of these, edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-lo, changing the line `route add
-net $(IPADDR)' to `route add -net 127.0.0.0' and you should be fine.

Since I haven't yet installed 2.0.0 myself, I can't test out what
the problem might be.  But, perhaps this may help.

Cheers!
Richard..

Richard Dansereau
Email: rdanse@pobox.com          Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada