Re: Strange IP address...

[...]
> Anyway, the intranet is a Window NT net and while goofing around I
> discovered that my machine has two IP addresses.  One is the one
> assigned, 172.16.18.5 and the other is 127.0.0.1.  I think I have gone
> through all the config files in /etc and I can't find out where this
> address is being sent out from.  When I reboot with just the Windows for
> Workgroups the address disappears so I am assuming it is an artifact of
> one of the network items I installed on the Linux side.
>
> Can someone tell me which package has this generic address and where I
> can find it and kill it?

127.0.0.1 is the generic loopback address for all machines that use IP
addressing.  On every machine it means "myself".  Don't try to wipe it out
or you may find some of your software doesn't work.

Any IP packets addressed to 127.0.0.1 should never leave the machine they
originate from (unless maybe they're source-routed????) -- if you find
packets with that destination address getting off your machine and onto the
wires then you have a big problem.  But I doubt that is the case -- some
stuff would have to be pretty broken to permit that.

In a nutshell: this is normal.  You don't have a problem.

--
 "Human beings rarely imagine a god that behaves any  | G. Branden Robinson
  better than a spoiled child."                       | Purdue University