Re: Debian 1.1beta problems

Mark Phillips <mark@maths.flinders.edu.au> writes:

Not sure about all your problems, but...

> * Why do I automatically get an xterm coming up when I start X?  It
> didn't happen with Slackware.

This is the default for debian when you don't have your own
~/.xsession.  /etc/X11/Xsession is where this happens.  If you have
your own ~/.xsession then whatever's there will have control.

> * When using dselect to install some software, I got a conflict
> between cpp and gcc.  This doesn't make sense does it?  Surely you
> need both?

gcc provides cpp, so installing cpp if you already have gcc is
redundant, that's what dselect is telling you.  cpp is provided as a
separate package for systems that don't need to compile, but need the
preprocessor for other things.  (Some programs use cpp to preprocess
their own config files).

> * Is it true that dselect automatically updates to newer versions of
> packages (if a newer version appears in the directory structure and
> you run dselect)?  What do you do if you want to reinstall the same
> version of a package - can you do it? (for example you might want to
> re - set it up)

I'm not real familiar with dselect (although I've been meaning to look
at it), so it's quite possible dselect will handle this, but you can
also always use the lower level command line tool, dpkg, for manual
tweaking.  See man dpkg.  You can install a single package via
"dpkg --install foo.deb".

--
Rob