Re: PPP problem w/ 1.1 install

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Michael Callahan wrote:

> I just grabbed the latest disks from ftp.debian.org (in
> /pub/debian/unstable/disks-i386/current, the 1440 series), and
> proceded to do the installation.  It mostly works, but I'm
> having trouble with PPP.  I recompiled the kernel (using 1.3.100-1 now)
> with PPP support
Never compile PPP into the kernel. Always compile it as a module and load
it via /etc/modules. This is because slhc.c says it needs to be compiled
as a module and ppp relies on it.

> but when I try to run pppd, it says the kernel
> does not support PPP.
Make sure you run a recent version of pppd (2.2.*)
>  I believe it has something to do with
> the lack of ppp devices in the /dev directory.
You won't need them. pppd uses the standard serial devices.

Nils

--
Coming again: Best quotes of the net. Today:          | Nils Rennebarth
Kristian Köhntopp <kris@schulung.netuse.de            | Schillerstr. 61
>>I'd also be interested in the comparison [of Linux] | 37083 Göttingen
>>with a cisco router. I assume a factor of about ten.| ++49-551-71626
>What? faster or slower?                              | http://www.nus.
Cheaper!                                              | pan-net.de/~nils