PPP problem w/ 1.1 install

I just grabbed the latest disks from ftp.debian.org (in
/pub/debian/unstable/disks-i386/current, the 1440 series), and
proceded to do the installation.  It mostly works, but I'm
having trouble with PPP.  I recompiled the kernel (using 1.3.100-1 now)
with PPP support, but when I try to run pppd, it says the kernel
does not support PPP.  I believe it has something to do with
the lack of ppp devices in the /dev directory.  Has anyone
else had trouble with this latest build?

  Michael