Re: PPP problem w/ 1.1 install

Michael Callahan said:
> I just grabbed the latest disks from ftp.debian.org (in
> /pub/debian/unstable/disks-i386/current, the 1440 series), and
> proceded to do the installation.  It mostly works, but I'm
> having trouble with PPP.  I recompiled the kernel (using 1.3.100-1 now)
> with PPP support, but when I try to run pppd, it says the kernel
> does not support PPP.  I believe it has something to do with
> the lack of ppp devices in the /dev directory.  Has anyone
> else had trouble with this latest build?

I had this same problem. I finally tracked it to a problem with the ttyS*
drivers in the kernel. However, I don't know exactly where in the drivers the
problem is.

For now, I run 'pppd' without the 'connect' option once after a reboot. It
will fail, of course, but it puts the ttyS* device into the correct state, and
'pppd' works fine after that.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't as
   easy to get programs right as we had thought.  Debugging had to be
   discovered.  I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large
   part of my life from then on was going to be spent in finding mistakes in
   my own programs."
   - Maurice Wilkes discovers debugging, 1949