Re: regular (aka bsd) compress distribution?

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> Bruce Perens:
> > this situation is that it's lawsuit bait for me to distribute patented
> > software without a license. If you look on Unisys web page, they say
> > yes you definitely need a license. Red Hat could have one for all I know.
>
> I'm not suggesting that we do anything illegal.  If Red Hat can have
> a license, maybe we could have one too.  I've sent a question to
> lzw_info@unisys.com about this - we'll see...
[SNIP]
> Proposal: not necessarily before the 1.1 release, but perhaps one of
> the many non-US Debian mirror sites could become the primary site.
> Now we can maintain the full international distribution, and remove
> certain packages (compress, GIF, PGP, ssh, ...) only from CD-ROMs
> sold in the US.  This way we can keep everyone reasonably happy.

If you really want this utility, why not make your own Debian add-on
package and distribute it yourself?  I like the fact that Debian strives
to be a distribution free of restrictive copyrights.

Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.