Re: sysklogd problem

Both of your problems are caused by the named pipe /dev/xconsole filling
up, which is a known problem.  I get the same behaviour here on my
machine.  I suspect named pauses for so long because it has a relatively
large amount of logging to report, and hence is most likely to be the
process which causes the pipe to fill.

There's no way to make the pipe buffers bigger, as it's set at one page
by the kernel.  Well, I suppose the kernel could be changed - the source
is there after all!

Could the syslogd and xbase maintainers comment on why the /dev/xconsole
pipe is being used instead of the traditional TakeConsole/GiveConsole
scripts run by xdm?  Is there a pressing reason?

Kenny.

>      Hello, Im having a slight problem with the newest sysklogd from the
> unstable tree.  I upgraded to 1.3-2 and now My named pipe /dev/xconsole
> doesnt work from boot (I have to HUP the syslogd to make it start logging
> to /dev/xconsole)
>
>      The permissions on /dev/xconsole are
>
>  prw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 13 10:10 /dev/xconsole
>
>      The line from the syslog.conf that entails the named pipe
> /dev/xconsole is
>
>      auth.*;daemon.*;mail.*;news.crit;news.err;news.notice;*.=debug;*.=info;
> *.=notice;*.=warn;cron.none      |/dev/xconsole
>

>      I looked through the /usr/doc/base/sysklogd and there wasnt anything
> that really pertained to this, so anyway, Im at a loss.
>
>      Also, My named used to startup quick at boot (even though I wasnt
> actually connected to the network) and now it has to wait to time out to
> continue to the next step in the init sequnece.  This is a tad annoying
> and I wondered if there were any way to stop it (I hadn't looked at the
> manpage as of yet for that, mebye there is a command line option).
> Anyway, thanks alot.

|         <K.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk> "http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/~kenny";      |
| Portuguese/English/French Translations/Teaching by Native Portuguese |
|              <TLS@nsl.co.uk> "http://www.nsl.co.uk/tls";              |