Re: Compiling the kernel..

On Wed, 22 May 1996 Richard.Dansereau@ee.umanitoba.ca wrote:

> This appears to contain the standard kernel release source tree but
> has a number of additional things (such as a nifty Tcl/Tk GUI for
> kernel configurations).

"make xconfig" and "make menuconfig" are a standard part of the linux
kernel now...has been for most of the 1.3.x series kernels.

> What is the procedure I should take to compile a kernel under debian
> and to take into account loadable modules, etc.?
>
> Also, if I want to get newer kernel releases is there a way to
> integrate it in with the additional Debian changes for /usr/src/linux?

simplest way is to download "kernel_source-x.x.x.deb", use dpkg to
install it, and then:

1.  cd /usr/src/linux

2.  configure the kernel with:

       make config
-or-
       make menuconfig
-or-
       make xconfig

3.  make dep ; make clean     # this step may not be necessary. i'm not
                              # sure if debian.rules already does it or not.
                              # it can't hurt to do it, though...only takes a
                              # few minutes.

4.  touch stamp-configure     # if you don't do this, then debian.rules
                              # will overwrite your config with the standard
                              # debian kernel_image package config.

5.  build the kernel image package:

    ./debian.rules kernel_image

This procedure will create a kernel_image-x.x.x.i386.deb package in
/usr/src, which can be installed with dpkg just like any other package.
reboot to run the new kernel.

NOTE: if you are recompiling a kernel which is already installed, you
will probably want to rm -rf /lib/modules/x.x.x BEFORE you install the
new kernel.  Otherwise that modules directory will be full of old junk
from the last compile.

If you are currently running that version of the kernel, and using those
modules (i.e. with kerneld or modprobe) then you really should reboot as
soon as you've installed the new version

procedure is:

1. build kernel version x.x.x
2. rm -rf /lib/modules/x.x.x
3. dpkg -i kernel_image.x.x.x.deb