Mixing and matching ELF and a.out

  I've just installed 0.93R6, and it appears that everything is in
  a.out format.  Is this correct?

  I've downloaded some packages from non-free, like ncftp, seyon, and
  xv.  These, however, are in ELF format.  E.g.

	[wohler@gbr:561]% file xv
	xv: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1

  But, it doesn't run:

	[wohler@gbr:562]% xv
	xv: can't load library 'libX11.so.6'

  Worse:

	[wohler@gbr:563]% ldd xv
	 libX11.so.6 => not found
	 libm.so.5 => not found
	 libc.so.5 => not found

  I thought I just read that installing libc.so.5 was a nightmare.  Is
  this going to open a whole can of worms if I start installing these
  packages (on my 0.93R6 system)?  Is there an easy way to get these
  ELF non-free packages running?  Alternatively, are there a.out
  versions of these packages available?

  Wish the mailing list archives were searchable as this is sure to be
  there...

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.