Re: network with ETHERLINK 3

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Patrick Hernaelsteen wrote:

> I am unable to configure my system with a EtherLink III ( 3C509B-TP ).
> Does any body had this kind of problem before.
> Thanks for helping me,

The 3COM Etherlink III card is supported but it may not be in the base
system's kernel.  In that case, you need to recompile the kernel to
reflect the card you have.  This is somewhat difficult if you are
counting on using FTP to load the full system.  I have gotten around this
problem in the past by compiling a kernel on another Debian machine and
then transferring it over to the target machine with the Etherlink III
card.  You will have to write the kernel out to a floppy with a ext2 file
system since the base installation does not include mtools but it is doable.

If this is not the problem, I suggest you look at how the Etherlink III
card is set up.  If it is a combo card with more than one kind of media
(BNC and TP, for example), you might need to use the disk provided with
the card after having booted to DOS and tell the card which of the
connectors you intend to use.  I found this out because my card was
initially configured to use the BNC and I wanted to use the TP.

Hope this helps!

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.acc.iit.edu                      *