fvwm2: button functions missing...

I am using fvwm2-2.0.42-beta-0 on debian 1.1.
I have just discovered that there are some button functions missing.
The menu from the top-left corner does not appear when I click on the
top-left button. Also no list of windows when I click on the right mouse
button.

The raise and lowering buttons on the top right work.

(I also tried fvwm-1.24r-22 when I discovered this. But that one is
worse: cannot open any xterm from the .fvwmrc file.)

Derek Lee