LaTeX (in-)compatibility

>>>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Wehler <wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de> writes:

Andreas> 2.)  Documents compiled with b) use more vertical space than
Andreas> a), e. g. the same text is distributed on more pages.  Most
Andreas> annoying are hand-tuned pages from a).  The command:
Andreas> \setlength{\parskip}{1ex plus0.5ex minus0.2ex} makes no
Andreas> difference.(??!)

Have you tried \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{scale_factor}?

Andreas> 3.)  The ghostview-preview produced from b) is less readable
Andreas> than that of b), given the same X11-terminal at resolution
Andreas> 1152x900, magstep 0.  The b)-fonts look a micro bit smaller,
Andreas> most horizontal bars in "t" or "f" are missing at that
Andreas> resolution and the "e" is ugly as well.  This point is the
Andreas> most important one, for addresses the readability of
Andreas> previews!!!

Since you use ghostview, I presume you want to preview some PostScript
specials alongside with text in your document.  I find it _far_ better
to use a new(ish) version of xdvik which invokes ghostscript for
displaying PostScript specials.

--
Billy C.-M. Chow // billy.chow@eng.ox.ac.uk // Debian Linux 1.3.84