Re: LaTeX (in-)compatibility

>>> B.=  billy.chow@eng.ox.ac.uk (Billy Chow)

B.> A.> 2.)  Documents compiled with b) use more vertical space than
B.> A.> a), e. g. the same text is distributed on more pages.  Most
B.> A.> annoying are hand-tuned pages from a).  The command:
B.> A.>    \setlength{\parskip}{1ex plus0.5ex minus0.2ex} makes no
B.> A.> difference.(??!)
B.>
B.> Have you tried \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{scale_factor}?

 Yes, some time ago.  You may trim pure text with a factor < 1.0
for b) to produce the same output as a), but text + figures and/or
tables go with their own vertival spaces.

B.> A.> 3.)  The ghostview-preview produced from b) is less readable
B.> A.> than that of b), given the same X11-terminal at resolution
B.> A.> 1152x900, magstep 0.  The b)-fonts look a micro bit smaller,
B.> A.> most horizontal bars in "t" or "f" are missing at that
B.> A.> resolution and the "e" is ugly as well.  This point is the
B.> A.> most important one, for addresses the readability of
B.> A.> previews!!!
B.>
B.> Since you use ghostview, I presume you want to preview some
B.> PostScript specials alongside with text in your document.  I find
B.> it _far_ better to use a new(ish) version of xdvik which invokes
B.> ghostscript for displaying PostScript specials.

 Thank you for this hint!  I'll give it a try for readability,
despite of the fact that my boss then again has to learn another
piece of free software, in addition to emacs, LaTeX, tgif,
ghostview, xwpick, xpaint, xcalendar, xcalc, ...? (I'm really
happy of that :-).  Especially the emacs-outline-mode is GREAT!
Anyone interested in my outline-regexp? My ~/.emacs-file holds the
line:      ---> (setq-default outline-regexp ".[*]_[*]+")
 so that the very first char of each line is ignored when
searching headlines, e. g.:

==============================
%*_* first level headline (HL) in TeX
/*_** 2nd level HL in C           */
(*_*** 3rd level HL in Pascal     *)
#*_**** 4th level HL in some profile
   and so on.

 Thanks,  Andreas.

--
Uni Wuppertal, FB Elektrotechnik, Tel/Fax: (0202) 439 - 3009
Andreas Wehler;   email:  wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de