How to start NIS?

I'm trying to make NIS work for a Linux 0.96 debian release on a
network of Sun Solaris machines.  I've read the NIS.howto and the
Net.howto.  I've a few questions.

Is there a doc somewhere I've missed?

The NIS.howto says to add a domainname-yp <name> command to
my rc.local.  I don't have a domainname-yp program, but I do
have a domainname program.  Are they the same?  I don't have
a man page for domainname.  If they aren't the same, which
debian package has what I want?

I for one am not happy with the convoluted rc?.d directory structure
of the debian system.  It is very confusing.  Yes, I know that each
rc<N>.d directory is searched for scripts to execute when changing
from level to level, but I still haven't figured out why there are
so many levels and what they all mean, but that's beside the point.

Where do I put things like the above since rc.local doesn't appear to
get executed anymore?  In general, where do you put things that need
to be started at boot if they don't fit into the provided categories?

Thanks and please excuse the soapbox, it is frustrating sometimes not
knowing what to do or where to look for answers.  RTFM only works when
you
1) know which manual.
2) have a small enough set to make searching practical. (NOT Linux)

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl@cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269