Re: linux and PAP

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Tim 'Death before Decaf' Sailer wrote:

> The powers that be here at BNL just changed our dialin setup from a
> NetBlazer, to a Cisco/USR managed modem bank, and it supports PAP.
> Now, never having set Linux up as a client, just as a server, I've
> stumbled my way around for a few hours, and can't seem to figure
> out what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has done this, *please* let
> me take a look at your ppp config..

As I promised earlier, here is the options file I have used to get
through the PAP at IIT.  Obviously, I have changed the passwords but we
do not use a user name.

I am still having a problem with occasional disconnects due to my
machine's PPP not receiving responses for four acknowledgements in a
row.  I don't know if this is due to a hardware problem with my no-name
brand 14,400 modem or if there is something wrong at IIT or if kerneld is
just terminating things after a minute of inactivity.  I will continue to
investigate and keep you updated.

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.acc.iit.edu                      *

I have removed the commented-out options and informative standard
comments to save space...

Note that the password and user name are in the file called
/etc/ppp/pap-names which contains two lines, the first with the user name
and the second with the password.

# /etc/ppp/options
#
# $Id: options,v 1.3 1996/01/31 21:26:00 alvar Exp $
#
/dev/ttyS1
38400
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript"
disconnect "chat -- \d+++\d\c OK ath0 OK"
asyncmap 0
crtscts
defaultroute
modem
netmask 255.255.255.0
passive
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 10

# Obsolete PAP method, but I think that this is how IIT's system works
# In fact, I am sure since it works!
+ua /etc/ppp/pap-names