Re: Re^2: X not allowed by user other than root

As always, this list has come through with lots of instant, helpful ideas.
Thanks!

The problem turned out to be as Stephen Early had predicted, namely,
that startx was setting the DISPLAY variable to sgk:0.0 rather than :0.0.

So, when I execute:
                export DISPLAY=:0.0
X apps run as expected.

(I also tried the alternative suggestion, viz., to set up a dummy interface;
I then checked that it was 'up' using /sbin/route.  However, having dummy up
did not solve the problem -- only setting DISPLAY to :0.0 solved the problem.)

Now that my system "works", I'm only left wondering

a) is there some reason that setting DISPLAY to :0.0 is undesirable?  This
   seemed like the most direct solution to the problem, so I wonder why
   it wasn't suggested as the best solution.

b) doesn't that fact that this problem has only been apparent recently
   imply that xinit somehow recently got broken (and thus needs to be fixed)?
   i.e., shouldn't I file a bug report?

Thanks again for your help.

Susan Kleinmann
sgk@sgk.tiac.net