Re: Re^2: X not allowed by user other than root

Susan G. Kleinmann:
 > a) is there some reason that setting DISPLAY to :0.0 is undesirable?  This
 >    seemed like the most direct solution to the problem, so I wonder why
 >    it wasn't suggested as the best solution.

DISPLAY should already be set.

There's lots of situations where setting DISPLAY to :0.0 (or :0) is
fine, but there are other situations where it's not the right thing to
do.  For example, sometimes you might have several virtual consoles
running X (:0 on one, :1 on another, ...).

Also, you might have occasion to run programs on a machine other than
the one with the display and keyboard.  Then, you want the host name
of the machine before the :.

--
Raul