Re^2: X not allowed by user other than root

Then Carlo Segre wrote:
> Bingo!  The permissions were 1755.  Changing them fixed the problem.  I
> am mysified how the permissions were set wrong in the first place...

Well, now that the subject's come up, I too haven't been able to invoke X
properly in the last couple of weeks since I installed the new X package (or
maybe this has been going on for a month, since I installed the new 1.1; I
don't know).

My problem is that I can't call up any X applications unless I happen to
be connected to my ISP by PPP.  If I try, I get errors like:
    TRANS(SocketINETConnect) () can't get address for sgk
    xhost:  unable to open display "sgk:0.0"
Needless to say, this is an expensive way to run X.

I've tried adding any and all of the following to /etc/X0.hosts:
localhost, lo, and the host name of my machine, which is sgk.

My /tmp dir has the right permissions.  I use startx rather than xdm to
start up because (after years of using bad xdm (commerical) software) I
am allergic to xdm.

So I'd appreciate any advice that might be out there re: how to call up
X apps without having to be on-line.

Cheers,
Susan Kleinmann
sgk@sgk.tiac.net