Re: IP Addresses and Routing

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Martin Rheumer wrote:

> I am just installing a new Debian Linux machine to have a look,
> but I have stumbled across a problem I know I have caused, but
> can't seem to get cleaned up. I have one Linux machine connected
> via SLIP to my provider and 1 Windows machine on ethernet and
> 1 Debian machine on ethernet. Could someone direct me to the
> correct route and ifconfig commands to set up the debian machine
> to see the rest of the Internet.

First of all, your machines on the ethernet will not be able to be seen
by the Internet unless your provider is routing for those IP addresses
down your SLIP link to your Linux.  If they will not do this, then you
could use IP-masquerading on that machine and use fake IP addresses for
the other machines on your ethernet.  Also, you will have to turn
IP-FORWARDING on in your Linux machine with the SLIP link for either to
work.

Good luck,

Gerry
gerry@blue.intele.net