Re: X not allowed by user other than root

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I just upgraded to the latest 1.1 packages of X and found that I can no
> longer run X as a user other than root.  If I use xdm, I just get kicked
> back to the login screen.  If I run startx, the X-server just shuts down
> with no diagnostic messages.
>
> The /etc/X11/Xserver file is NOT set to `RootOnly' so this cannot be the
> problem.  It is set to `Console' which is the correct setting as far as I
> know.  The permissions on `X' and `XF86_S3' are Ok for all to execute
> with only `X' as suid root.

  Further information:

the ~/.xsession_errors file has the following line in it:

exclusive open for tmp_name failed in m4_defs: Permission denied

I don't know if this is relevant, but it does not appear in
/root/.xsession-errors.  I also checked my disk usage, since, as one of
you pointed out, X is not allowed if there is not enough disk space
free.  This is not a problem since I have more than 20MB free and I think
that this feature kicks in at a much lower level.

Thanks

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.acc.iit.edu                      *