Re: xdm broken

G> Yesterday, I installed the latest (unstable) versions of
G> xserver-s3, xlib, xaw3d, xsnow, perl, bsdutils, and libc4.  When I
G> rebooted my computer, xdm no longer started.  Actually, the xdm
G> process is running, but nothing appears on the screen except a
G> normal text login.  Starting X with startx still works though.
G> Does anyone know what might have gone wrong?

Same problem here.  The install probably killed the line in your
/etc/xdm/Xservers file that mentions your local Xserver.  I'm not sure
how it happened, but it did.

Here's the relevant line(s) from mine:

# X servers are automatically added to this file by the Debian
# xbase and xserver configuration scripts.
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

When you put this back, the server should pop right up.

--
Rob