DNS reverse name lookup question

Our ISP has never had our reverse name lookup set up correctly.  Finally,
after much whining on our part, they finally did.  This only worked for a
few days however and then they changed our IP address as they changed
their Internet feed from Sprint to MCI (I think).  Now they tell us that
the reason our reverse name lookup doesn't work is because of MCI and is
out of their control.  However, since our ISP is the one running the
DNS, I suspect they are feeding me a load of hooey (excuse the
language).  Wouldn't the people who run the DNS have total control over
the reverse name mapping?  Or could they possibly be telling the truth?
Also, how much work would it be to set up and run our own DNS on a Linux
machine?

Thanks,

Gerry
gerry@blue.intele.net