Re: DNS reverse name lookup question

> Our ISP has never had our reverse name lookup set up correctly.  Finally,
> after much whining on our part, they finally did.  This only worked for a
> few days however and then they changed our IP address as they changed
> their Internet feed from Sprint to MCI (I think).

>                                                   Now they tell us that
> the reason our reverse name lookup doesn't work is because of MCI and is
> out of their control.  However, since our ISP is the one running the
> DNS, I suspect they are feeding me a load of hooey (excuse the
> language).

No, the problem is, the Revers zone must be delegated by the Owner. For the
first byte ??.IN-ADDR.ARPA this is the Internic. The Internic has delegated
some networks to Carriers or national NICs like the RIPE. If you run a
nameserver on your own, you still need the delegation for the frward and
backward lookups. Geenrally its much more complicated to get the delegation
for the reverse zone from the ISP.

Greetings
Bernd
--