Re: Various problems with 1.1

>>>>> "Bruce" == Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com> writes:

Billy> I am not familar with virtual packages.  Could you elaborate on
Billy> this?  Thanks.

Bruce> The package has in its header file these fields:

Bruce> 	Package: kernel_source-1.3.92
Bruce>  Provides: source

Bruce> This allows it to satisfy the requirement for the "source"
Bruce> package, while not conflicting with other installed versions of
Bruce> the kernel. The C library headers would come from the one that
Bruce> was installed last. Installing a second kernel would not cause
Bruce> the first to be removed. You would have to use "dpkg -r
Bruce> kernel_source-1.3.92" to remove it.

Suppose I have ``kernel_source-1.3.92'' installed, and try to install
a second source tree ``kernel_source-1.3.95''.  dpkg should attempt to
_replace_ the old with the new since the package name is the same.  Am
I missing something here?

--
Billy C.-M. Chow # billy.chow@eng.ox.ac.uk # Debian Linux 1.3.84