Re: Various problems with 1.1

>>>>> "Bruce" == Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com> writes:
>>>>> "Billy" = billy.chow@eng.ox.ac.uk (Billy Chow)

Billy> 6. Is it possible to have more than one version of a package
Billy> installed at once?  I'd like to have 1.2.13 and 1.3.64 of `source'
Billy> installed

Bruce> It could be made to work by using virtual packages for the
Bruce> kernel.

Billy> I am not familar with virtual packages.  Could you elaborate on this?
Billy> Thanks.

The package has in its header file these fields:

	Package: kernel_source-1.3.92
	Provides: source

This allows it to satisfy the requirement for the "source" package, while
not conflicting with other installed versions of the kernel. The C library
headers would come from the one that was installed last. Installing a second
kernel would not cause the first to be removed. You would have to
use "dpkg -r kernel_source-1.3.92" to remove it.
You'd eventually see a pile of kernel packages in your "dselect" display,
as it does not remove the status for old packages, but this is more a
bug in "dselect" than anything else.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
"Excusing bad programming is a shooting offense, no matter _what_ the
circumstances". - Linus Torvalds.