how we will move unstable to debian-1.1 without messing up mirror sites

> I think "mv unstable <new-name>" would be a much better solution to try.

That would be a problem for the mirror sites. They would have to mirror
the entire thing all over again. Mirrors aren't smart enough to understand
that you have "mv"-ed a directory hierarchy.

The way I suggested doing it - tar from unstable to the code-named
directory saves the mirrors a lot of work. You might not understand
that we aren't going to stop having an "unstable" directory when 1.1 is
released, because development of 1.2 will continue in the unstable
directory. We will, however, remove the debian-0.93 directory about a
month after 1.1 is released.

Mirror sites that don't have enough bandwidth to move 150 MB at the
drop of a hat should stop mirroring a day before we do the tar.  Then
on the day of the change, they should tar unstable to the code-named
directory in the same way that we will do it, preserving time stamps.
Then, they should re-enable their mirrors and the mirrors will take
care of the few files that don't match.

Then, once all of the mirrors have had time to get "in-sync", we will
create the symbolic link debian-1.1 -> code_name . That way, the
release will not appear in half-mirrored fashion on these systems.

Matt Bailey suggested enforcing synchronization by changing the mirror
sites passwords on ftp.debian.org before performing the tar, and then
asking the mirror sites to perform similar tars on their own sites
before changing to the new password. That will work for the major mirror
sites, but not the tertiary mirrors that we don't know about.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184,849,036 domestic, $117.5M overseas and counting.