Re: syslogd installation problem

 >In your email to me, Gerry Jensen, you wrote:
 >>
 >> I'm trying to upgrade my system to 1.1.  When trying to install the new
 >> syslogd package, it dies saying:
 >>
 >> Setting up syslogd ...
 >> /var/lib/dpkg/info/syslogd.postinst: /etc/init.d/syslogd: No such file or
 >> directory
 >>
 >> And, indeed there is not /etc/init.d/syslogd on my system.  There is
 >> however a sysklogd (note the 'k') file in /etc/init.d.  The start of this
 >> file reads:
 >>
 >> #! /bin/sh
 >> # /etc/init.d/syslogd: start syslog daemons.
 >>
 >> (Note the lack of 'k' in the second line).  So, I'm wondering if this
 >> file is just named incorrectly, or perhaps the syslogd.postinst file is
 >> trying to access this file by the wrong name.  Or, perhaps it's something
 >> silly I've done elsewhere.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
 >
 >As I just found out early this morning, doing an virgin install on
 >one machine, and an upgrade on another, 'syslogd' is *very* broken,
 >but *sysklogd* works... they both seem to be the same.
 >Also, 'mesg' is no longer on the system..
 >
 >Tim

I have been installing 1.1 on a virgin machine (complete with
repartitioning, etc.), and I think there are a few problems with
syslogd and klogd.

1.  The version of sysklogd*.deb on the Apr 19 diskettes (downloaded
last night from ftp.i-connect.net) is a back-level version---both
syslogd and klogd want libc.so.4.  Are they a.out?

2.  The package sysklogd-1.3-1.deb's postinst script tries to run
/etc/init.d/syslogd, but what is installed is 'sysklogd'.

3.  After having made a symbolic link from init.d/syslogd for
init.d/sysklogd, both syslogd and klogd die with an error indicating
they both cannot resolve symbols 'environ' and '__environ'.

I may be missing something somewhere, though.

Tommy McGuire