Re: syslogd installation problem

In your email to me, Gerry Jensen, you wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my system to 1.1.  When trying to install the new
> syslogd package, it dies saying:
>
> Setting up syslogd ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/syslogd.postinst: /etc/init.d/syslogd: No such file or
> directory
>
> And, indeed there is not /etc/init.d/syslogd on my system.  There is
> however a sysklogd (note the 'k') file in /etc/init.d.  The start of this
> file reads:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> # /etc/init.d/syslogd: start syslog daemons.
>
> (Note the lack of 'k' in the second line).  So, I'm wondering if this
> file is just named incorrectly, or perhaps the syslogd.postinst file is
> trying to access this file by the wrong name.  Or, perhaps it's something
> silly I've done elsewhere.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

As I just found out early this morning, doing an virgin install on
one machine, and an upgrade on another, 'syslogd' is *very* broken,
but *sysklogd* works... they both seem to be the same.
Also, 'mesg' is no longer on the system..

Tim

--
		       sailer@sun10.sep.bnl.gov
	     "I have abandonded my search for the Truth,