Re: yp failures

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.91.960420000536.9154E-100000@silverado.kennet.com>,
Kenny Wickstrom  <kenny@kennet.com> wrote:
>I have installed nis-1.10-1 on my Debian 1.1 machine and cannot get it to
>bind with my NIS server.  The server is Sun running regular NIS.  I even
>tried starting ypbind -S mydomain,myservers_IP_addr and that didn't bind
>either.  Below are some of the errors I get.  My system has all of the
>base, most of devel, the necessary packages in net along with others that
>aren't relevant to this problem.  The kernel is 1.3.64 from the source
>package.
>
>$ ypcat passwd
>YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: No bound server for domain tsc.ttd.teradyne.com
>No such map passwd.byname. Reason: Can't bind to server which serves this domain
>$ypwhich
>can't yp_bind: Reason: RPC failure

Check the securenets file on the server, to see if you are allowed
to use NIS. Also check that the broadcast address of the ethernet
interface is correct and the same as on the server. You can
do this with plain "ifconfig" on Linux and "ifconfig -a" on the
Solaris box. If nessecary, adjust /etc/init.d/network.

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  http://         +
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     | www.cistron.nl/  |