yp failures

I have installed nis-1.10-1 on my Debian 1.1 machine and cannot get it to
bind with my NIS server.  The server is Sun running regular NIS.  I even
tried starting ypbind -S mydomain,myservers_IP_addr and that didn't bind
either.  Below are some of the errors I get.  My system has all of the
base, most of devel, the necessary packages in net along with others that
aren't relevant to this problem.  The kernel is 1.3.64 from the source
package.

$ ypcat passwd
YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: No bound server for domain tsc.ttd.teradyne.com
No such map passwd.byname. Reason: Can't bind to server which serves this domain
$ypwhich
can't yp_bind: Reason: RPC failure

Does anyone have any suggestions what I might try next?

Thanks

Kenny Wickstrom           | gnu - a new generation in s/w devel/support
kenny@kennet.com          | Linux - a much improved Un*x clone
(847)740-4008             | Debian - a Linux distribution setting the
#include <std-disclaimer> |    standard for future distributions