Re: New Markets

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Jay Carlson wrote:

> Lars Wirzenius:
> > Rick Macdonald:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I hope everyone agrees that a numbered release shouldn't ever be
> >> changed after it's released. Oops, I don't thnk this was the way
> >> 0.93R6 was handled..
>
> > My feelings also.
>
> > "I have Debian 0.93R6 on CD-ROM.  Is that a good version?"
> > "Which version do you have?"
> > "Like I said, 0.93R6."
> > "I mean, which version of 0.93R6?"
> > "I don't know, are there many?"
> > "I'm afraid so"
> > "Hm, I think I'll go with Red Hat instead.  Thanks."
>
> "Hello, this is Yoyodyne Technical Support, may I help you?"
> "I can't get your software to run under Debian 0.93R6.  Your product
> box says you support it."
> "Well, which version of 0.93R6?"
> "Uh, the latest."
> "Well, that was before they changed what was 0.93R6."
> "Wow, Debian sucks."
> "Yeah.  We're dropping support in the next release."
>
> Jay Carlson
> nop@nop.com    nop@ccs.neu.edu    nop@kagoona.mitre.org
>
> Flat text is just *never* what you want.   ---stephen p spackman

-- after traversing 173 telemenus adn two intermediate screeners --
S-"Hello, this is joncoktostin at Sun Microsystems Technical Support..."
U-"Hi, I'm having a proplem printing (or any normally trivial task)"
S-"What version of the OS are you running?"
U-"2.4"
S-"SunOS 2.4 or Solaris 2.4?"
U-"Solaris 2.4"
S-"Which version of Solaris 2.4?"
U-"Uh ... I don't know, how many are there?"
S-"A few, I'm afraid"
U-"Well how can you tell?"
S-"Um, I'm not sure.  Try this: which ssaadm"
U-"command not found"
S-"You're probably running 2.4 11/94.  What patches have you installed?"
U-"What do you mean?"
S-"type 'showrev -p'"
U-"nothing"
S-"Do you pay for a Support contract that grants you the privilage of paying
   to let us fix our broken software with patch distributions?"
U-"I don't know"
S-"Please check with your sales rep, get the latest recamended patch list for
   your version of Solaris 2.4, and install them.  Then try to print."
U-"But how can I be sure that I'm running 2.4 11/94?"
S-"If you try to install patches that are for the wrong version, they'll fail"
U-"WOW!  Solaris 2.x is the BEST!!!"

I think you guys are being a little too hard on yourselves.

*Richard G. Roberto		*	"until we extend the realm of our *
*richr@bear.com			*	 compassion to all living things, *
*201-739-2886               	*	 we will not ourselves have peace"*
*Whippany, NJ			*	- Albert Schweitzer 		  *

-- Disclaimer Below --

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.