Phone Troubles using PPP

Hi Gang,

The situatuion here is one of a new user (me) and a problems staing connected to my service provider on a 28.8K Line.

My gut feeling is that the Phone Line is dirty. But being new to Linux, I am not familar with what the reporting is telling me.

On to some facts,

1)  chat work fine. We assume this due to a connection being made and shown in /var/log/messages.

2) ppp comes up to IP mode as reported in messages file.

3) ppp goes down as reported in messages file after about 2 mins of operating.

4) /var/log/daemon.log reports Hangup (SIGHUP) and then modem hangup.

5) /var/log/debug shows the following:

ppp_tty_read: called buf=00011578 nr=1504
ppp_tty_read: len = 14
ppp_tty_read: passing 16 bytes up
ppp_dev_xmit_lower: fcs is fbdc
ppp_dev_xmit: writing 18 chars

6) Twice in the last 5 days the connection was made and held for 6 hours. But not repeatable on a consistance nature.

Can any one point me to information defining fcs and other debug information shown above?

Can someone relate what the above means.

I do not think its the configuration of PPP, but may be something else I am missing.

Any one care to help, I am off line unitl I can solve problem.

Thanks,

Jim Fuller
EMAIL ctcs@mcn.net