NFS after base install moves at 1 byte/sec

I have an older SMC ethernet card in a Northgate 486.  On boot up, it
properly recognizes it as a western digital chip set.

The base install goes without a hitch.  Then I nfs mount a local mirror,
and start the install.  This works, but painfully slowly.  E.g. ls
/debian takes several minutes to return.

The nfs server is not on my subnet.

Thinking that it may be nfs parameter problems, I increased timeo for
the mount to 30 (3 seconds) dropped retrans to 1 so that it would
go through it's wait cycle faster.  This didn't make a noticeble
difference.  I also played with rsize, running it up to the 8K that
is more typical for nfs.

Thinking that it was some weird permissions/security/validation problem, I  tried a
mount from another machine on the same subnet.  That one can complete an ls -lR
many times faster than the install box can do an ls.

If the ethernet driver is wrong, it shouldn't work at all.  If the server is at fault,
I should get the same slug behaviour from all clients.

Ideas as to what's happening?

Sherwood Botsford | 403 492 5728 except 3713 on even dates in Jan,
Physics Dept      | Mar,Jun,Jul,Sept, & Oct, and odd dates in the other
U of Alberta      | seven months. Either number possible on holidays &
Edmonton, AB,     | weekends. Neither during last 3 wks of June, or
T6G 2J1		  | first wk of Sept. Faxen 0714, Physics, 6826 Math.