Re: Commence downloading for the beta test

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> > The only FTP archive that I currently know to be up to date is
> > ftp://ftp.i-connect.net/debian/unstable/binary-i386/
>
> Could someone turn on the `tar' facility for the FTP server, if it has
> one?  Even better, keeping an up-to-date copy of each subdirectory as
> a tar.gz file would be really nice.  This request also applies to the
> ftp.debian.org site and other mirrors.

It's pretty easy to install and run mirror.  Why not use that instead?
It's a lot faster and easier than donwloading directory.tar.gz and not
as big a waste of bandwidth...mirror only downloads the stuff which has
changed.

It's also automated.  You just configure it and either run it from the
shell prompt or from cron.  You don't have to sit there ftp-ing file
after file, directory after directory, it does it all for you.

I've got mirror set up on one of the machines at work, to mirror the
debian distribution from ftp.debian.org...I use debian on several
machines at work (also some SCO boxes which have to stay SCO alas, and
a couple of Slackware boxes which will be reformatted and installed as
Debian when the time is right).

I've also got mirror set up at home to mirror debian from the copy at
work (my home system has a permanent 28.8K PPP link to the router at my
work so it makes more sense to get it from the "local" copy at work).

It works, it's easy.  I can forget about it until I need to upgrade
something then "Wow! look here! the .deb file I need is already on my
disk" :-)

Over the last few days I've been upgrading my debian machines at home
to the new BETA. the upgrade was a lot easier than I expected, but i'd
already done a fair bit of manual upgrading (dpkg-1.1.5, ld.so, libc5,
ncurses3, and others).  Mirroring debian made this task a LOT more
convenient than it would have been otherwise.  I've still got a bit of
work to do making sure that EVERYTHING went smoothly in the upgrade, and
tidying up a few loose ends but it seems good so far.

Craig