Re: Accents in LaTeX?

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Magnus Therning wrote:

> I can't get the national characters to work in LaTeX! For some reason I
> can't make the \aa, \"{a} and \"{o} to work, but I can make the other
> ones work (\"{u}, \ae, etc.)
> I am doing anything wrong? Is there some .sty-file I've forgotten to
> include?
> I'm using LaTeX2e layered on TeX Version 3.1415 (C version 6.1)
>
> (I just installed all I thought I needed from the Debian 0.93R6 tree)
>
> I found this in the .log-fil
> Missing character: There is no ^^e4 in font cmr12!
> Missing character: There is no ^^f6 in font cmr12!
> Missing character: There is no ^^e5 in font cmr12!

These messages have to do with LaTeX selecting a font (cmr12) with the
traditional TeX encoding, while it should be selecting a font (dcmr12, I
guess) with the new Cork encoding, including the characters you're looking
for.  What I do to drive TeX to select Cork encoded fonts is adding the
line:

  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

in the preamble of the document.  That works pretty well in Debian, for
what I've seen.

Additionally,

  \usepackage[isolatin]{inputenc}

should allow you to use the full ISO-latin1 character set inside your
document.  In general, also, the Babel system should be used to adapt
LaTeX to the particular characteristics of your language.  That can be
done with

  \uspackage[<put your language here>]{babel}

If you want TeX to correctly hyphenate the words in your language, it
is necessary to generate a new LaTeX format, preloading the
appropriate set of hyphenation patterns.  With luck, Debian may have
done that for you already.

Hope, this is useful,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co