Re: bigger, sexier, more phly debian...

Martin Alonso Soto Jacome wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> I think Java can be ported to whatever graphics system is available.  It
> would even be possible to develop a X protocol extension allowing client
> apps to send Java programs to the X server in order to be executed
> directly there.  That would make execution of Java very efficient, even
> across very slow connections, and wouldn't need a complete rework of X,
> only a protocol extension that can be added without modifying the big and
> complex core of the windowing system.

This would be nice, and has more possibilities than a completely java-based
system.  It is, however, a question for the X consortium to ponder.  Even
the XFree team would be ill-advised to impliment something like this if it
were not part of standard X.  I wonder how either LBX (which seems to not
be continuing development) or sxpc would compare to this concept.  While
these are not platform-independent, they are perhaps more fully developed
than java.

This is, however, not a debian concern, I don't think.

--

David L. Johnson         	dlj0@lehigh.edu  dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics	http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html