Re: bigger, sexier, more phly debian...

ean@dallas-cs-000.novare.net (Ean Schuessler)  wrote on 16.04.96 in <[🔎] 2.2.32.19960416220723.007410e8@mail.novare.net>:

> Unfortunatly Java is not GPL'd. For that matter I don't think that native

Nor is X. And there's no reason Java couldn't be reimplemented, if people
want to. In fact, ISTR that some commercial people are already doing just
that.

Anyway, that's somewhat beside the point - it's the language and the byte
codes that are the important standard for this, not the actual
implementation. The most parts of such a system would probably be written
in Java itself.

> graphics services are actually provided by Java, it just calls the existing
> local windowing system, but I'm probably wrong.

Again, it's not that important who actually does the drawing, as long as
you have the interfaces to use. Actually, I imagine both implementations
on top of systems like X or Windoze, and standalone ones. The latter would
be more work, of course.

And I'm not proposing to use the exact same configuration as that for
applets - I expect there would be some modifications necessary. For
example, the beast would probably be much less tied to html. However, it
would certainly be a good idea to be as compatible as possible.

> To bad MGR isn't a bigger deal.

Well, MGR doesn't seem to have a chance of catching on. This might.

MfG Kai