Re: Adaptec AHA 1542 using port 130

In article <[🔎] 199604162216.PAA06988@george.lbl.gov> "Keith Beattie[SFSU Student]" <beattie@george.lbl.gov> writes:

> I'm installing .96R6 (with the alternate boot disk) from scratch and
> I'm having trouble getting my Adaptec AHA 1542 SCSI card recognized
> with the boot disk created in the installation process.
>
> Since my card uses port (interupt?) 0x130, the SCSI HOWTO tells me that
> if it's not on port 330 or 334 I need to specify "aha1542=0x130" at the
> boot: prompt.  That works just fine with the initial boot disk (which
> gives me a boot: prompt) and allows me to partition and format
> /dev/sda.  The boot disk created in the installation process never
> gives a boot prompt and hence I don't get the chance to specify port
> 130.  It just boots up, fails to find the host adapter and fsck fails.

AFAIK some newer bootdisks give a prompt, but I don't know details.
You might try using the bootdisk, then you have to add the option
"root=/dev/sdax" (replace x by the partition number of the root
partition). And you need the aha1542 option mentioned above too.

> I see a couple of possible solutions to this:
>
> 1) Get the card to use port 330 or 340.  I tried this but not having
> any documentation on the card itself, makes this difficult.

> Anybody know (or where I can learn) about jumper and/or dip switch
> setting on this card?

My paper version says:
I/O Port 330-333h: sw2,sw3 and sw4 off

I heard rumours that some kind of adaptec bbs has doc files, but I
never found this.

> 2) Somehow get the kernel on the installation-created boot disk to use
> port 130 for my card.  I plan on evetually using lilo but that comes
> later... so there's no /etc/lilo.conf yet.

Your installation-created disk contains a raw kernel, so there is no
way to specify parameters.

> 3) Use the new 1.1 disks.  I plan on doing this soon anyway. I just
> thought I'd try "working through" a base installation with what was
> avaliable.  Will I still be faced with the same problem though?

This might be the easiest option, but I suppose that you will have to
install the not-yet-1.1 release then.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/