Re: Using PCMCIA with Debian

You've never built a kernel before, right?

In order for make dep to work, you need to do a make config. Since you
don't want to change *anything* (since you're not building a kernel,
just faking up what Bruce built for you in the original install disks)
I think just doing a "make oldconfig" will work.

It turns out that this has nothing to do with the autoconf package;
the linux kernel uses some automatic configuration, and steals the
name, but it isn't actually using GNU-Autoconf(TM) :-) (A further hint
to this is that the earliest version of the autoconf package is only a
few months old -- I built it -- yet people have been building kernels,
like  this one, for years :-)