Using PCMCIA with Debian

As suggested I tried to install David Hinds PCMCIA code (version 2.8.12)
on Debian (the current 0.9 version,kernel 1.2.13) following the instructions
in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.

"make config" in the pcmcia dir results in:

  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h  does not exist

  to fix: "make dep" in /usr/src/linux

"make dep" in /usr/src/linux results in:

/usr/src/linux-1.2.13/include/linux/config.h:
  linux/autoconf.h no such file or dir

The autoconf package itself is installed (via dselect).

I suspect that the reason for this is that the file structure or make mechanism
of Debian is slightly different from the system David Hinds wrote the software
for. Anyway this is the first time I tried to generate something from the
source
tree. Before dselect was always sufficient.

Any idea what went wrong on my system?

Thanks,
          Markus

--