Re: Upgrade questions

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Gerry Jensen wrote:

> Also, it
> looks like the X stuff has a different layout.  That is, it has different
> package names than the stable release yet it doesn't list conflicts with
> the current stable packages.  Does this mean I'm going to have to remove my
> old X packages before I install the new X packages?  Or, am I just confused?

The layout of the X packages has changed between Debian 0.93R6 and 1.1.
The new package layout is as follows:

xlib        - shared libraries
xbase       - binaries, configuration files and manual pages for the binaries
xserver-*   - the various hardware-specific X servers
xfnt*       - different fonts
xdevel      - header files
xmanpages   - development manual pages not included in xbase
xslib       - static link libraries, for debugging / special use
xcontrib    - programs from the 'contributed' section of XFree86
xcompat     - old a.out shared libraries for XFree86-2 ("X386") and XFree86-3
xnest       - the nested X server from the X distribution

The changes in the packaging from the previous version are:

xstd no longer exists; the man pages it contained are now in xbase, and
the extra binaries are now in xcontrib

xbase no longer contains any fonts. The required set of fonts are now in
xfntbase

xsvga, xs3, etc. are renamed xserver-svga, xserver-s3, etc.

The scripts put in /etc/X11/xdm and so on have been considerably
improved. If you had to modify the scripts in your old installation, I
suggest you install the new scripts (say 'yes' to the prompt given to you
by dpkg). If you want to keep your old scripts, keep _all_ of your old
scripts - don't install a mix of old and new scripts in /etc/X11/xdm.

I think you will find that xbase now conflicts with and replaces xstd.
Each xserver package will conflict with and replace its old name.

Most of the new X packages depend on recent versions of xlib.

Hope this is useful. The next new version of the X packages, which I hope
to release very soon, should make upgrading very easy - it will spot a
couple of common changes to X configuration scripts and attempt to
preserve the meaning while updating the scripts. This won't be completely
general, of course.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk