Re: Upgrade questions

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Gerry Jensen wrote:

> If I want to upgrade to the developement version of Debian, what files are
> essential to upgrade first?  I don't want to change my kernel as I have a
> lot of custom stuff compiled in my present kernel.  But, do I need
> anything else compiled in the kernel other than ELF support?  Also, it
> looks like the X stuff has a different layout.  That is, it has different
> package names than the stable release yet it doesn't list conflicts with
> the current stable packages.  Does this mean I'm going to have to remove my
> old X packages before I install the new X packages?  Or, am I just confused?

I am currently working on the upgrade proceedure. Hopefuly I will be able
to post a first cut at installing the base system by Monday (if I can do
some testing tonight).
You will want to upgrade base first. The kernel must have ELF support
built into the kernel (but not necessary for the kernel to be compiled as
ELF). Also be sure to remove binfmt_elf from the /etc/modules file (this
is how module status is determined). I will be presenting the order of
installation soon, but start with the new dpkg, then ld.so, then libc5,
etc...
After the base packages probably the next step should be the devel
section. After that, install at will :-)

Parity on Dude,

Dwarf