Upgrade questions

If I want to upgrade to the developement version of Debian, what files are
essential to upgrade first?  I don't want to change my kernel as I have a
lot of custom stuff compiled in my present kernel.  But, do I need
anything else compiled in the kernel other than ELF support?  Also, it
looks like the X stuff has a different layout.  That is, it has different
package names than the stable release yet it doesn't list conflicts with
the current stable packages.  Does this mean I'm going to have to remove my
old X packages before I install the new X packages?  Or, am I just confused?

Thanks,

Gerry
gerry@blue.intele.net