Re: checksums file on ftp.debian.org

ijackson@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 11.04.96 in <m0u7Oy9-0002YBC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>:

> There is a list of the MD5 digests of all the files in the archive in
> the indices subdirectory (which Carl says he may want to rename - it's
> just the first name that came to my mind).

Great!

> It is however considerably slower to calculate :-).

Yes, but it's not so slow that this should be a problem, IMHO. I've used
it several times to find identical files on my system, something like
(from memory, so check before you try it)

  find / -fstype ext2 -type f -exec md5sum {} \; | sort > filelist

and found the speed quite acceptable - and I only have an 486/40.

MfG Kai