Debian on a Gateway Liberty Laptop???

Hi,

I'm just trying to install debian on a laptop and am bumping into several
problems:

1) There doesn't seem to be a package for supporting PCMCIA cards in
the stable distribution. Is there an alternative? This is VERY
annoying, since I can't otherwise have internet connection and have no
convenient way to load packages. I have tried to compile the PCMCIA
package from slackware or redhat, but when loading one of the modules,
it complains that the kernel I'm using (the standard one from the
distribution, must be 1.2.13-5?) is not the same as the one I have the
source for (1.2.13-7), and that there are unkonwn libr functions
(e.g. readb). I never went into recompiling the kernel, and would like
to try and avoid it in the future too...  (for info, Windoze says
about my card: PCMCIA Cirrus Logic PCIC compatible; Generic Ethernet
card)

2) There is no real power switch on the Gateway Liberty (only some deep-sleep
button: turning off and on doesn't trigger a reboot). This means that after
shutdown, I am stuck: Ctl-Alt_Del doesn't work, and the only possibility to
reboot is to come with a needle into some secret hole. For a laptop, this is a
nuisance, since you want to turn it off rather often, right?... Or should I
leave it in deep sleep between working sessions?

I might have some further questions later, but the first one is a real issue:
what do debian laptoppers do about it? They always recompile the kernel with
PCMCIA module? What a courage!

Amities,

		Jean Orloff
+Tel:(33)50.09.16.75   Fax:(33)50.09.94.95   http://lapphp0.in2p3.fr/~orloff/+
"MEMBERS AND NON-MEMBERS ONLY"
Sign outside Mexico City's Mandinga Disco in the Hotel Emporio